The Asian Elephant, Elephas maximus, is a species of elephant native to southeast Asia, particularly China, India, Vietnam, Nepal and Thailand. It is one of three extant species of elephant.
There are several differences between the Asian elephant and the African elephants. Asian individuals are smaller in size and are stockier, and have smaller ears. They only have one finger-like extension at the end of their trunks while African individuals have two. Asian elephant cows do not have observable tusks like how African cows do.
The Asian elephant has been introduced in each game for in the Zoo Tycoon series. First, it appeared as part of the Zoo Tycoon: Endangered Species downloadable pack. Next, it was a bonus download for Zoo Tycoon 2. Most recently, it appeared in the form of four subspecies for Zoo Tycoon (Xbox).
In Zoo Tycoon, the Asian elephant preferred in Tropical rainforest biome. The only non-dinosaur animal that could kill it was the Emperor penguin. It could be downloaded via the Zoo Tycoon website, as it was included in the Endangered Species pack.
There is an inaccuracy in Zoo Tycoon that states how the Asian elephant is the only elephant species that can swim. In reality, all elephants are capable of swimming, but Asian elephant that always live near water.
Zoo Tycoon 2
HabitatThe Asian elephant lives in the scrub biome. It is tolerable of the temperate forest, grassland and savannah biomes. It enjoys water in its exhibit.
Elephants are herbivores that feed on grass, hay, and branches.
Elephants play with the elephant log, the pursuit ball, and the easel.
Asian elephants will use the shade structure and the elephant house.
Elephants are very social animals that live in herds comprised of mostly female individuals. Females will give birth to one calf at a time. They do not mind sharing their exhibit with other animals.
Four subspecies of the Asian Elephant are available for purchase.
- Bornean Elephant, E. m. borneensis
- Indian Elephant, E. m. indicus
- Sri Lankan Elephant, E. m. maximus
- Sumatran Elephant, E. m. sumatransus
- The Asian elephant provides a much cheaper alternative to the African elephant. Both species are capable of sharing the same exhibit, but only if the savannah biome is used.
- The Asian elephant's biome in Zoo Tycoon is much more accurate than in Zoo Tycoon 2. However, Asian elephants can survive in a wide range of environments such as grasslands, tropical rainforests, deciduous forests, and dry thorn forests.
- Both species have four brick sized molars in their mouth, usually weighing ten pounds each. They get six sets in a lifetime.
- The Asian Elephant, along with its the African elephant, are the only animals in Zoo Tycoon 2 to use the Elephant House as a form of shelter.
- When Zoo Tycoon 2: Extinct Animals was released, a glitch could occur where, if the graphics were put on high, male Asian elephants turned pink.