Thornicroft’s giraffe is a unique subspecies of giraffe only found Zambia’s Luangwa valley. Estimated at 800 animals and isolated as a single population, this subspecies is potentially vulnerable as a result, with no research and monitoring to estimate population size, trends, and distribution. Giraffe Conservation Foundation and ZCP (Zambia Carnivore Programme) are working collaboratively to support key genetics work elucidating the uniqueness of this subspecies. This work has expanded into the development of an extensive database on individual giraffe identified through photographic monitoring.
In Zoo Tycoon (Xbox)
The Thornicroft's giraffe is an adoptable animal in Zoo Tycoon (Xbox).
- The giraffe's scientific name, camelopardalis, means "leopard-patterned camel".
- The giraffe has special blood vessels, they are extra extensible, which allows the blood to be pumped through its long throat even if the giraffe suddenly swings with the head or lifts it up and down.
- Giraffes take 20 breaths per minute.
- The giraffe's hooves are as big as dinner plates.
- The giraffe tail can be over 90 cm long.