Conservation status : Near Extinction
Worldwide population: An estimated 32,000 wild Lions remain in all of Africa.
- Only male Lions have manes, the impressive fringe of long hair that surrounds their heads.
- Lions in West and Central Africa are considered critically threatened. At most, only a few thousand of the West African Lion still roam the wild.
- West African Lions are thought to live off smaller prey than those in East Africa.
- Based on recent genetic testing, Lions in West and Central Africa appear to be more closely related to Asiatic Lions than they are to East and Southern African Lions.
- Lions are the most social of all wild cat species.
Diet: Antelope, Gazelle and other hoofed prey.
Favored exhibits: Savannah
Favored Enrichments: Scratching posts, tabletops and slides.
TriviaThe male West African lion in the game has a long and slightly thick mane. However, the real life male West African lions has a very small and weak mane or maneless.